E2B Files and Folders explained
Note: \_ISO\WINDOWS and \_ISO\AUTO folders are 'special', but all other level-2 menu folders behave identically.
There is no functional difference between placing a ubuntu.iso file in the \_ISO\LINUX folder or placing it in the \_ISO\WINPE folder or the \_ISO\DOS folder or the \_ISO\MAINMENU folder.
User-added files which can modify the behaviour of E2B
- \_ISO\MyBackground.bmp or .jpg - user wallpaper (can also be a JPEG or gzip or lzma compressed bmp)
- \_ISO\(menu_folder_name).bmp or .jpg (where menu_folder_name can be MAINMENU or LINUX or BACKUP, etc. etc.)
- \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg - user settings and Main menu heading + Footer menu helptext
Less common user files (used for testing and debugging):
- \_ISO\Menu.lst - overrides standard E2B menu.lst boot code (used for testing only)
- \_ISO\STRINGS.txt - overrides E2B language settings, should contain all $$$STRxxxx keys for one language (used for testing a new language)
- \_ISO\F1.cfg - this Help F1 file will be used instead of the language F1.cfg file (used for testing new F1.cfg language file)
- .txt files - for instance, if you have \_ISO\LINUX\Ubuntu.iso and a matching \_ISO\LINUX\Ubuntu.txt, then the .txt file may affect the way that the Ubuntu.iso file is listed in the menu.
- User-added .mnu files - these are added to the E2B menu and can cause problems if they are invalid. e.g. .mnu files in the \_ISO\MAINMENU\$$$$CONFIG folder.
Easy2Boot Folder Structure
Main Menu folder
Special Sub-Menu folders
Standard Sub-Menu folders
The above folders are sub-menu folders that will be listed in the Main menu. If a payload file uses a .mnu file, then place both files at the 3rd level (e.g. \_ISO\LINUX\MNU), otherwise both the .mnu and payload file will each cause a new menu entry to be created.
Note: Sub-folders with a dot in the name (nnnnn.mmmm) will be ignored - e.g. \_ISO\MAINMENU\UBUNTU10.1\Ubuntu.mnu will not work, use \_ISO\MAINMENU\UBUNTU10_1\Ubuntu.mnu instead.
Matching payload .txt files containing menu titles can be added (e.g. \_ISO\LINUX\MNU\Ubuntu9281.iso + \_ISO\LINUX\MNU\Ubuntu9281.txt).
The folder \_ISO\UTILITIES_MEMTEST is actually a sub-sub-menu which can only be reached via the Utilities menu. It functions just like a standard E2B folder. If you wish, you can add more sub-menu and sub-sub-menu folders.
E2B folders (for reference - do not edit any original E2B file!)
Files in root of the Easy2Boot USB drive
- \autounattend.xml - used by Vista\7\8\2012\10\2016 installs - the file is overwritten by E2B during installation – do not touch - should be 100KB!
- \unattend.xml - used by XP WinPE installs - the file is overwritten during installation – do not touch - should be 100KB!
- \grldr - grub4dos 2nd stage boot file included in E2B download! Beware, many versions of grub4dos have bugs!
- \menu.lst - first menu loaded by grub4dos. If you already have an existing \menu.lst file, you will need to add a new menu item to your own \menu.lst file to run Easy2Boot (e.g. configfile /_ISO/E2B/grub/menu.lst).
- \autorun.inf - used to display the E2B icon when displayed by Windows Explorer (may be falsely detected as a virus!)
- \E2B.ico - drive icon specified in the autorun.inf file
- \FASTLOAD.YES - only present if you copy this file to the root. It causes the Main menu to be cached for faster booting and loads of a cached version of the Main menu. Useful if you have lots of payload files in the Main menu which takes a long time to load! Delete to disable menu caching.
- \EFI folder - (not present in recent versions of E2B) - I recommend you delete this folder if it exists - some modern system BOISes will not MBR-boot to E2B if there are EFI boot files present, in this case the BIOS\UEFI firmware may only display a UEFI-boot option in the BIOS pop-up boot menu!
- WinxxPESE.ini files - used by some WinBuilder-based ISOs such as Gandalf PE, etc. (updated automatically by E2B)
Files in \_ISO\e2b\grub folder
- AUTO.hdr - used by E2B to define the heading for the AUTO/DIRECT menu
- AUTOMN.g4b - grub4dos batch file, used by easy2boot.lst and menu.lst and ZZSubMenuxxx.mnu files
- Background.bmp.gz - aurora 800x600 bmp wallpaper compressed to .gz
- backup.lst - used for debug – don’t delete!
- bios - a grub4dos executable used by E2B to make BIOS calls
- centrehd.g4b - used to calculate the padding needed to centre menu headings
- CheckAccess.g4b - this runs on startup to check for buggy BIOSes with a 137GB limit
- ConfigX.g4b - used by E2B to convert and run a menu file containing keywords
- CopyFF.g4b - used when a .ISODOS file extension is found - copies files to a virtual floppy disk
- CountFiles.g4b - helper batch file which counts files
- CountISOs.g4b - counts the number of ISO files in a folder
- Date.g4b - used by sample mnu file $$FixDate.mnu (if copied to a menu folder) to set a different system date
- delptn3.g4b - if (hd0,3) is found to contain a partition on startup, this code allows the user to delete it
- dow.g4b - gets the day of the week
- E2B.cfg - default config file (used before \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg is called)
- E2B_GRUB.txt - marker file used to find the grub folder - do not delete!
- E2BPlate.bmp - E2B boiler plate stamp
- FASTLOAD.MNU - the cached Main menu is written to this file if \FASTLOAD.YES is present
- fat - a grub4dos executable to perform file operations on FAT partitions (used in CopyFF.g4b)
- firadisk.gz - floppy image containing firadisk driver
- getline.g4b - gets a line of user input (does not stop any animation that is already playing)
- getpass.g4b - gets a password (does not stop animation)
- getstr.g4b - gets the value of a $$STRxxxx keyword into the variable STR
- grab.g4b - saves the text on the grub4dos console to a text file (for bug reporting)
- grldr_046 - grub4dos grldr file version 0.4.6a
- grldr_045 - grub4ods grldr file version 0.4.5a
- grab.txt - screen text is saved into this file when you run grab.g4b
- HitmanXfer.g4b - transfers special HitmanPro sectors to the E2B drive
- hotkey - a grub4dos executable to allow the menu to respond to hotkeys or set active hotkeys
- isoboot.g4b - boots a linux ISO using cheat codes (ISO does not need to be contiguous)
- KBDxxxx.g4b - specify one of these in your MyE2B.cfg config file for your keyboard layout (default=US)
- ListDir.g4b - lists files in a directory
- LstFExt.g4b - helper file to list files with a specified extension (e.g. all .iso files)
- MAIN.hdr - header used by grub\menu.lst as precursor for the dynamic main menu
- memdisk - executable to load a ramdrive, used by .gzmd and .zip file extensions
- menu.lst - this is the start script for E2B – called by \menu.lst - don't change this file
- menu_defaults.txt - this holds the default menu number and timeout values set by the user
- MenuF10.hdr - menu entry for F10
- MenuF7.hdr - menu entry for F7
- MenuF8.hdr - menu entry for F8
- MenuF9.hdr - menu entry for F9
- MenuFastLoad.hdr - menu entry for 'REFRESH THIS FASTLOAD CACHED MENU' entry
- menusetting.gz - grub4dos executable for menu position and border
- MenuWinInstall.lst - menu entries for the Windows Install menu
- MenuWinMenu.hdr - 'Back to Windows Install Menu' menu entry
- NewWinVBlock.ima.gz - F6 floppy disk image with WinVBlock drivers
- NTBOOT - Chenall's batch file to boot VHD and WIM files
- PickaFile.g4b - batch file used to ask user to pick a file from a numbered list
- QAUTO.g4b - this makes the menu from the \_ISO\AUTO folder contents (searches all subfolders - ignores .mnu files)
- QRUN.g4b - this determines what action is taken based on the file extension of the payload file
- rtl.g4b - reverses text for right-to-left languages
- RunVista.g4b - batch file used for Vista, Win7 and SVR2K8R2 installs
- RunWin8.g4b - batch file used for Win8 and SVR2012 installs
- SearchBS.g4b - searches for BIOS strings (uses wenv) - used only when you use the sample menu file 'BIOS detect and Run.mnu' - e.g. E2B can run a different ISO depending on what BIOS is present.
- SetHPAD.g4b - grub4dos batch file which calculates the padding required for the menu headings
- SubMenu.g4b - grub4dos batch file used to make submenus
- SVR2012.hdr - header code for the SVR2012 menu
- SVR2K8R2.hdr - header code for the SVR2K8R2 menu
- SVR2016.hdr - header code for the SVR2016 menu
- TimeAccess.g4b - times grub4dos file access (Utilities menu)
- tp.g4b - PIN code entry
- true_hide.g4b, true_unhide.g4b - hides/unhides partitions
- unifont.hex.gz - unifont font file (required for non-ASCII character sets/languages)
- VarsLeft.g4b - counts the number of variables left in the environment (for debugging)
- Vista.hdr - header code for the Vista menu
- VistaMn.g4b - batch file used to install Vista, Wk8/7 user input
- wenv - grub4dos utility used by SearchBS.g4b
- wimboot - used to boot WIM files
- Win7.hdr - header code for the Win7 menu
- Win8.hdr - header code for the Win8 menu
- Win8Mn.g4b - batch file used for the Win8/2012 user input
- Win10.hdr - header code for the Win10 menu
- winvblock.img.gz - FDD image used by QRUN - do not removeZZZ
- XLATE.g4b - translates keywords and appends them to the E2B dynamic menu
- XPStep1/XPStep2/XPStep2LowRam.g4b - used by XP menu system
- XPWINNT.g4b - used by the 'XP install from WinPE' menu to select which ISO you want, etc.
- xxxx.f24 - 24-pixel high font files (LZMA compressed)
Language files (e.g. \_ISO\e2b\grub\ENG)
The ENG folder contains English menus and text - don't change these files - see 'Changing the Language' section for details on how to change to a different language or if you want to copy and modify the text in these files.
- STRINGS.txt - contains the keyword text substitutions (e.g. $$STRm001)
- F1.cfg - contains the F1 Help menu
Included payload files
Some payload files are included in the download - you can just delete these to save space if you don't want or need them:
- \_ISO\DOS\MNU\Freedos288.IMA.gz and .mnu (100KB) - this will boot to a virtual freedos floppy disk image - allows you to access the E2B USB drive as C: (FAT and NTFS, v1.83+)
- \_ISO\UTILITIES_MEMTEST\MEMTEST.IMG.gz and .txt (64KB) - runs memtest86+, Memtest86-5.0.0.iso is memtest86
- \_ISO\UTILITIES_MEMTEST\MNU\MEMTEST86 files - runs memtest86+
Note: The latest version of Memtest86 requires you to make a FAT32 UEFI .imgPTN file and UEFI-boot to it.
Note that if any file or folder (of any sort) is present in the ANTIVIRUS, BACKUP, DOS, LINUX,UTILITIES, WIN or WINPE folders, then that sub-Menu will be listed in the Main Menu (even if there are no proper payload files in it). Just make sure the folder is completely empty (no sub-sub-folders either) and it won't be listed in the Main menu.
If you have an old version of E2B which has a \EFI folder, I suggest you delete the \EFI folder as it can prevent some systems from booting to the E2B menu in MBR mode.
\_ISO\UTILITIES contains the file Utilities_MemTest.mnu which is responsible for the sub-sub-menu at \_ISO\UTILITIES_MEMTEST. You can study this .mnu file for an example of how to make your own extra sub-sub menus and folders. All menu folders must be directly under \_ISO.